Loves Park, IL, June 28 - Art Speciale of Bartlett, collected his first Midwest Enduro Stock Car Series win of the season during the running of the "MAC TOOLS 250" enduro held at the Rockford Speedway. Speciale took the lead at the 85-lap marker and remained in the top position for the rest of the 250-lap affair for the win.
Speciale was the overall winner and first in the "A" Class over Tom Ruh. First in the "B" Class was Jason Lange over Mike Watson.
Defending Small Car Series champion Mark Johler collected his first win of the season during the running of the "MAC TOOLS 125" enduro. Initial winner Jody Purdy was disqualified after post race inspection. Mike Jucius finished in the runner up position. Brad Nelson was the winner in the V-6 division over Joel Schumann.
The day started with the running of the "MAC TOOLS 15" powder puff event. Joy Wilson led most of the 15-lap event until Michelle Lemery collected her on lap seven. Tanya Galloway took over at that point and went on for the win over Erika DeYoung who made a last lap pass over Ashley Fogel to collect the runner up spot.
SMALL CAR & V-6 SERIES
The "MAC TOOLS 125" Midwest Enduro Small Car & V-6 Series event had current Small Car Series point leader Dan Chapman jump out front early with Richard Jones, Jucius and Jasper Drengler close behind the leader. The field was slowed on lap 6 and lap 14 for the only caution's for the day. Some rough driving took place in the early going which left Brick Bosses disabled Taurus as an obstacle in turn 3 for the remainder of the 125 lap event. As the field approached the 25 lap marker Purdy was shown as the race leader eight seconds ahead of Chapman. Behind Chapman were Dylan Helfenstein, Chris Pastuska and Leo Bujak. The real race was for second as Purdy nearly had the entire field lapped by lap 50. As the field crossed the 50-lap marker, it was Purdy out in front of Johler, Chapman, Helfenstein and Pastuska. Bujak was now on the move as the field reached the 75-lap marker. Bujak was now in second followed by Johler, Chapman and Jucius. Purdy continued his torrid pace for! the remainder of the event with the battle continuing for the runner up position. With three laps remaining while running third, Bujak went to the pit area with mechanical problems. At the line, Purdy crossed first followed by Johler, Jucius, Chapman and Steve Bayer. Purdy was disqualified during post race inspection for modified springs giving Helfenstein a fifth place finish and Johler the win.
STOCK CAR SERIES
Defending Series champion Tom Barnharst set the early pace as the field was let go for the running of the "MAC TOOLS 250" Midwest Enduro Stock Car Series main event. Barnharst held a two-second lead over race sponsor Phil Speciale at the 25-lap mark of the 250 lap scheduled event. Right behind Speciale was his brother Art Speciale, Tom Ruh and Ryan Nuti. The field was slowed for the red flag on lap 35 for a loose tire from the Jay LeBrun entry. Jeff Jeras was on the move as he closed the gap from the leader Barnharst to two seconds as the field made the 50-lap mark of the event. Barnharst was still out front followed by Jeras, Art Speciale, Jay Bozart and Phil Speciale. As the field rolled to the first of two mandatory refueling pit stops on lap 83, Barnharst was still the race leader leading all laps followed by Jeras, Art Speciale, Bozart and Phil Speciale.
Art Speciale's crew was on top of their game as despite being behind by six seconds on the track prior to the stop they were now the race leader. Jeras, who was seemingly going to be the one to beat, suffered a right front flat as the green flag was displayed. Art Speciale now was in command but as one of the fast-paced events in Series history, it was going to be a test for many of the drivers for the remainder of the event. Darryl Traber moved past Barnharst on lap 91 to assume the runner up position. At lap 100, it was Art Speciale out in front of Traber by six seconds followed by Barnharst, Ruh and Bozart. Traber trimmed the lead to two seconds by lap 125 as Barnharst and Ruh began to fade. As the field stopped for the final pit stop at lap 167, Art Speciale still held the point over Traber, Ruh, Barnharst and current Series point leader Don Lunsford. The top four were the only cars on the lead lap.
As the field lined up for the final 83 laps Tom Ruh made a great pit stop as he was now in the runner up position. Traber made a tire change and Barnharst was eight seconds behind the leader as green flag was displayed once again. The field was stopped for a red flag on lap 189 for Gerald Hayes as he lost the right rear tire off his car. Art Speciale at lap 200 lapped Traber and Traber went in to the pit area for a tire change a few circuits later. With 50 to go, it was Art Speciale out to a seven-second lead over Ruh followed by Barnharst, Traber and Lunsford. Art Speciale maintained a five to seven second lead over Ruh for the remainder of the event to take the win. The top five at the line were Art Speciale, Ruh, Barnharst, Lunsford and Ryan Nuti.
The next Series event is scheduled for Saturday night July 4 at the Grundy County Speedway. For further information call (262) 895-6682 from 6 - 9 pm. or leave a message. Additional up to date information can be located on the Series website at www.midwestenduro.com
COMPLETE SUMMARY: "MAC TOOLS 250"
1. Art Speciale, Bartlett, 250 laps completed; 2. Tom Ruh, Elkhart Lake, WI, 250; 3. Tom Barnharst, Wind Lake, WI, 250; 4. Don Lunsford, Oak Creek, WI, 249; 5. Ryan Nuti, Edgerton, WI, 247; 6. Jay Bozart, Milton, WI, 247; 7. Darryl Traber, Waterford, WI, 244; 8. Mark Tomasi, Wind Lake, WI, 244; 9. Jason Lange, Marengo, 244; 10. Erich Iversen, Kenosha, WI, 244; 11. Phil Speciale, Elgin, 240; 12. Mike Watson, Muskego, WI, 240; 13. Jeff Jeras, Waukon, IA, 240; 14. Mike Herwald, Lake Geneva, WI, 239; 15. Don Wilson, Hartford, WI, 238; 16. David Dominguez, Madison, WI, 237; 17. Jesse Jollie, Sussex, WI, 232; 18. Louis Chatroop, Palatine, 232; 19. Miles Bradley, Edgerton, WI, 225; 20. Lee Whiting, Milwaukee, WI, 223; 21. Bob Kelly, New Berlin, WI, 220; 22. Al Kuphal, Franklin, WI, 201; 23. Bob Palermo, Crown Point, IN, 199; 24. Jay LeBrun, Antioch, 186; 25. Gerald Hayes, Monee, 174; 26. Justin Lange, Marengo, 151; 27. Gerry Galloway, Hanover Park, 147; 28. Michael Hennessy! , Baraboo, WI, 144; 29. Mark Fogel, West Bend, WI, 126; 30. Matt Arvia, Griffith, IN, 72; 31. Brad Jones, Rockton, 46; 32. Ken Childre, New Berlin, WI, 44; 33. Tom DeYoung, Lowell, IN, 18
1. Art Speciale; 2. Ruh; 3. Barnharst; 4. Lunsford; 5. Nuti; 6. Bozart; 7. Traber; 8. Tomasi; 9. Iversen; 10. Phil Speciale; 11. Jeras ; 12. Herwald; 13. Wilson; 14.Bradley; 15. Whiting; 16. Kelly; 17. Kuphal; 18. LeBrun; 19. Gerald Hayes; 20. Gerry Galloway; 21. Hennessy; 22. Fogel; 23. Arvia; 24. Childre; 25. DeYoung
1. Jason Lange; 2. Watson; 3. Dominguez; 4. Jollie; 5. Chatroop; 6. Palermo; 7. Justin Lange; 8. Brad Jones
"MAC TOOLS 125" SMALL CAR & V-6
1. Mark Johler, Des Plaines, 125 laps completed; 2. Mike Jucius, Oak Lawn, 125; 3. Dan Chapman, Spring Grove, 125; 4. Steve Beyer, Waterford, WI, 125; 5. Dylan Helfenstein, Racine, WI, 125; 6. Jasper Drengler, Shawano, WI, 125;7. Mark Sontag jr., Homewood, 123; 8. Leo Bujak, Spring Grove,122; 9. Al Bartels, Tomah, WI, 120; 10. Chris Pastuska, Rockford, 118
; 11. Jason Jarvis, Zion, 115; 12. Troy Boss, Rockford, 112; 13. Lewis Frazer, Janesville, WI, 100; 14. Deyan Yordanov, Round Lake, 88; 15. Bryan Jones, Sterling, 83; 16. Harley Conkling, Rock Falls, 79; 17. Rich Jones, Brodhead, WI, 77; 18. Victor Young, Genoa, 61; 19. Donnie Schick, Rock Falls, 57; 20. David Burtlow, Rock Falls, 55; 21. Michael Turman, Rockford, 50; 22. Pat Hayes, Merrionette Park, 31; 23. Brick Boss, Rock Falls, 18; 24. Zachary Weisbacher, Hanover Park, 13; 25. Jake Zemke, Rock Falls, 6; 26. Jeff Freas, Rock Falls, 5; 27. Jody Purdy, Milton, WI, 0; 28. Steve Mack, Cherry Valley, 0; 29. Ryan Hill, Homewood, 0
1. Brad Nelson, Shawano, WI, 106; 2. Joel Schumann, Milwaukee, WI, 105; 3. Larry Nolte, Richton Park, 59; 4. Julie Hayes, Monee, 21; 5. Tim Goulet, Milwaukee, WI, 4
"MAC TOOLS 15" Powder Puff
1. Tanya Galloway, Hanover Park, 15; 2. Erika DeYoung, Lowell, IN, 15; 3. Ashley Fogel, Oak Creek, WI, 15; 4. Joy Wilson, Hartford, WI, 15; 5. Michelle Lemery, Rockford, 15; 6. Brenda DeYoung, Lowell, IN, 15; 7. Niki Nuti, Edgerton, WI, 15
This article was posted to the website on June 29th, 2009
Click to view all related content in that category